4 STEPS FOR A PERFECT HAIR CARE ROUTINE
For the modern woman--always on the go, juggling multiple tasks, looking after the family--it is not an easy task to handle everything perfectly! The one thing that takes the brunt of all this juggling is self-care, usually hair care. In the present day world where people care a lot about their looks, hair care is a lot more than just brushing your hair and shampooing. In order to achieve the most trendy look or just to keep your locks lustrous as you age, it is really important to follow a proper hair care routine. A perfect routine need not take up all your time and need not burn a hole in your pocket. Well lucky for you, we have come up with the perfect hair care routine that everyone needs to follow, that too in 4 easy steps!
Step #1 : Brush your hair
Doesn’t it sound too obvious! Yes it is, but did you know that brushing your hair before washing it will detangle the hair and prevent hair loss! The natural oils produced by our scalp are distributed throughout the hair in the process of brushing and this promotes hair growth and imparts shine to the hair.
Step #2 : Wash and condition
Understanding your hair type is very essential to determine the number of times you wash your hair in a week. Following a perfect washing regime will leave you with healthier hair and will decrease hair fall. Let us take a look at various hair types and washing regime to be followed, whereby you can develop your own schedule.
Straight hair: It is very easy for straight hair to fall flat and look greasy. Since the natural scalp oils can travel down the length of the hair very easily and nourish the hair evenly, it is relatively easy to take care of straight hair. However, this very advantage could turn into a disadvantage if proper care is not taken while washing your hair. Here are some tips for washing and shampooing straight hair:
- Wash with a mild, sulfate-free shampoo to retain the moisture of your delicate locks.
- It is important to wash once every 2 to 3 days to keep greasiness and oiliness at bay.
- Conditioning your hair is uber important. Using conditioners infused with essential oils such as jojoba oil or argon oil will help nourish your hair from within. Avoid putting the conditioner on the roots.
Wavy hair: This type of hair is intermediate between straight and curly. The hair is usually greasy at the scalp and dry at the ends. Let us get to the details of shampooing and washing wavy hair:
- Preferably oil massage 1 hour before wash.
- Wash with a mild shampoo every 3-4 days.
- Apply conditioner every time your wash to keep it soft.
Curly hair: This is the type of hair which is the most difficult to take care of. Here are the tips:
- Since curls get dry and damaged easily, we would suggest washing only twice a week with a mild shampoo in order to preserve natural hair oils.
- Conditioning is a must to add that extra moisture.
- You could just co-wash (wash just with the conditioner) once a week.
- Give the luxury of a deep condition to your hair at least once a month.
Coily hair: Do you have super-tight curls? Then coily hair is your hair type.
- Yes, your hair is very fine and dries easily. So moisturizing and hydrating thoroughly is very important.
- Use mild shampoo once a week.
- Deep condition every month.
- Use a good quality leave-in conditioner or one with castor oil/essential oils, to keep the locks well hydrated.
Now that you know your hair type, take care that you dry and style your hair also based on that. Let us take a look:
- Always prefer air drying over using a regular hair dryer. In case you use a dryer, keep the heat to minimum.
- For straight hair, apply some volumizing mousse to add volume to your hair and infuse new life.
- Those with wavy hair should use a microfiber towel to dry in order to keep out frizz. Scrunch right after shower when the hair is still wet and do not brush afterwards.
- Curly hair needs to be detangled with a wide-toothed comb while in the shower to prevent breakage. Blow dry with diffuser attachment to prevent frizzing up.
- For those with coily hair, it is recommended to use satin pillowcase since cotton pillowcase dries up the hair. Detangle in shower and use leave-in conditioner.
- Do not use harsh styling products unless you really need to.
- Prefer styles which are not damaging to your hair and scalp since that could lead to frontal balding.
It is as important to brush your hair at night as it is before washing. Securing your hair in a braid or pony tail at night will prevent breakage, reduce tangles, and prevent friction with the pillow case.
Well, don’t you think that spending an extra couple of minutes each day on this important routine can add years to your hair!
- Use good quality products for shampooing, conditioning and styling your hair.
- Always protect your hair from sun by wearing a hat or using a hairspray with SPF protection.
- Coconut oil, olive oil, and castor oil are best for deep massage and conditioning.
- Rinsing with brewed unsweetened tea adds natural color to your hair.
Detroit Beauty Supply offers a range of hair care products, carefully picked especially for YOU! Shop for your choice of products here.